Add new comment

Workload Transfer from the Vermont Service Center to the California Service Center and Nebraska Service Center

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

USCIS recently began transferring certain casework from the Vermont Service Center (VSC) to the California Service Center (CSC) and Nebraska Service Center (NSC) to balance workloads. The CSC will now process Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

The NSC will process Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, filed by an asylum applicant with a pending asylum application filed on or after Jan. 4, 1995. The eligibility category for the application is (c)(8).

How You Will Be Affected If USCIS Transfers Your Case

If the center transfers your case, they will send you a transfer notice. Your original receipt number will not change, and the transfer will not delay the processing of your case except for the additional time needed to transfer the file.

The filing location and instructions for these forms will not change. Please continue to file the forms at the address on the form instructions and on the USCIS website at

How to Track the Status of Your Case

You can check your case status at Case Status Online by entering your receipt number. You can also sign up to receive automatic case status updates by email.

If you do not receive a decision on your case within the published processing time, you may submit an inquiry using e-Request or by calling the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 800-375-5283 (TDD for the deaf and hard of hearing: 800-767-1833). When asking about your case status, please provide USCIS with your original receipt number and specify that your case was transferred to a new location.

If USCIS sends you any notice (such as a Request for Evidence), please read the notice carefully and follow the instructions provided.

If you move while your case is pending, you must inform USCIS of your address change. You may file a change of address on the website or by calling the NCSC. It is important that you notify us of any address change as soon as possible, so that you continue to receive notifications from USCIS.