Frequently Asked Questions - Change of status

1. Change of Visa From H-1B to F-2
  2. Change of Status on an H-1B Approved for Consular Processing
  3. Unstamped H-1B Quota Exemption
  4. H-1B portability without a visa stamp
  5. H-1B no notification of termination, 60 days grace period, etc.,
  6. Applying for tourist, visitors, B-1, B-2 to maintain status
  7. Effect of H-1B Approval on H-4 EAD
  8. When Does One Become H-1B Cap Exempt - Change of Status/Visa Stamp?
  9. H-1B Joining Another Employer while a Transfer, Extension or Amendment is Pending
  10. Impact on Current H-1B if Another H-1B is Denied
  11. Travel While Change of Status Request is Pending - H-1B Related
  12. The New Restriction on 12 Months of CPT OPT Combined – – Consequences of H-1B Denial on OPT
  13. Traveling Abroad While H-4 EAD is Pending
  14. Unlawful Presence for Minors
  15. H-1B Petition Revocation During Visa Process/Reaffirmation
  16. How Does One Change Status While Within The United States?
  17. Child Turning 21, Immigration Consequences for Pending Green Card Cases
  18. H-1B and Green Card Transfer From a Non-Profit Organization to For-Profit
  19. Change of Status to Student F-1 While Green Card is in Process
  20. Can I Get H-4 Visa Stamping While the H-1 to H-4 Change of Status is Still Pending?
  21. H-1B or Other Status Denied - What is my Status?
  22. When Does One Become H-1B Cap Exempt?
  23. What can be Done if an H-1B is Denied While in the USA?
  24. Changing Status from Tourist or Business Visa (B1 or B2) Within the United States
  25. Status and Unlawful Presence Questions in the Form DS-160
  26. H-1B Visa Denied and Petition Sent for Revocation
  27. H-1B Visa Stamping in Canada or Mexico; Importance of I-94
  28. Does H-4 Require a Prior USCIS Approval for Visa Stamping?
  29. New Regulations, Effect on Layoff after I-140 Approval
  30. Evidence or Documents Created After the Filing of a Petition
  31. 60 Days Grace Period for H-1B
  32. Applying For H-1B Visa When There Was A Status Violation
  33. H-1B 60 days grace period explained
  34. H-4 EAD Status When Moved to Different Employer
  35. Travel while H-4 EAD is pending
  36. If H-1 transfer is denied, can I rejoin my old employer?
  37. H-4 EAD changing back to H-1
  38. Gap in Status
  39. Travel while H-1 COS is pending
  40. The Proposed I-140 EAD Rule - FAQ's
  41. H-1B Laid Off Issues
  42. Maternity leave on H-1, FMLA and status
  43. How to Enter The USA to Start A Business And Then Continue
Change of Visa From H-1B to F-2
I am currently on H-1B visa. Is there a way I can change the visa to F-2 without going back to India? My fiancé is here on F-1 visa and this visa is valid till Sep 2014.

You must be married to the F-1 holder in order to be eligible for F-2 status.  Fiances do not qualify for derivative status.

Change of Status on an H-1B Approved for Consular Processing
I'm currently working on H4-EAD in USA. I have approved H1 I-797B with employer "ABC" having start date as 11/16/2020 under consular processing in cap. Can employer "XYZ" file H1B transfer before my start date with "ABC"? If yes, can he do it with change of status?
Unstamped H-1B Quota Exemption
I had an H1B from my previous employer that was valid from Dec 2016-Dec2017. I never got the visa stamped and it has complete 6 years unused on it. The question I need your help with is if an employer files H1B for me, would it be eligible for Cap-Exempt processing or not?
H-1B portability without a visa stamp
I came to US on H-4, so I have only H-4 stamping in my passport. Got my H1b picked up in lottery two years back, and did COS to h1, and have approved i797A with I-94 and working with my current employer. Got an offer from another company, and they filed my H1b transfer, and got the i-797A approval with I-94. So my question here is, can I join the new company using the H1b transfer approval, even though I don’t have H1b stamp at all in my passport? Will this be a valid H1b transfer?, or should I go back to India to get my H1b stamping to join the new employer?
H-1B no notification of termination, 60 days grace period, etc.,
My employer ended my employment due to COVID reasons on May 31, 2020 but I never received an official termination letter. Calculating the grace period depending on the assumed termination date mentioned above, I have till July 30 to find a new job. Should my new employer give me an offer or start the H1B transfer application before July 30? What happens if they fail to do so in time? Can I extend the grace period on the basis of having an offer in hand or maybe because of the pandemic? My final interviews with potential employers are being withdrawn because of the time restriction.

Watch the Video on this FAQ:

H-1B no notification of termination, 60 days grace period, etc.

Video Transcript

File a complaint against the employer with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor by filling up the form WH-4. You can also call them. 

Applying for tourist, visitors, B-1, B-2 to maintain status
Spoken to the current employer's attorney on Tourist visa , they replied its not a correct path moreover it takes much proofs to tell USCIS i was on H1b working for employer and then changing to visitors and then after certain period of time when i find a project, changing it back (i.e applying) to h1 makes this case more complex.
Effect of H-1B Approval on H-4 EAD
My wife currently working on H4 EAD which is valid till October 2020. Her company filed for H1B this year and she got approval for 3 years starting 10/01/2019. However, She would like to stay on H4 EAD. Does law permits her to work on H4EAD even after her H1B approved? or naturally her work visa status will convert to H1B effecting 10/01/2019?
When Does One Become H-1B Cap Exempt - Change of Status/Visa Stamp?
At present I am working in OPT ( expires in June 2020). I have an unused stamped H1B visa which I got in August’ 2013 and my visa stamped in my passport on August,2014. However I never traveled/ worked with this H1B visa and expired in October’2016 without using or entry. I came to USA in January’2016 in F1 Visa. My question is can I use this unused stamped visa for cap exempt as transfer of employer from F1 visa to H1B visa now? or do I need to apply in Master’s cap next year.
H-1B Joining Another Employer while a Transfer, Extension or Amendment is Pending
Situation: Resigned company A already and Got offer from employer B and applied H1B transfer(premium processing) but received RFE. But I have another offer from Employer C as well who is yet to file my h1b transfer Question: 1. If RFE is denied for employer B Can i join employer C with the receipt notice as Employer C has started H1B transfer by that time ? 2. How long one can stay in US without job/payroll having H1B ?
Impact on Current H-1B if Another H-1B is Denied
I am already on a cap-exempt H1b working for a non-profit full time. Another employer filed my H1b petition on the cap-subject quota on april 2018 and got an RFE april 2019 and was denied with a reason for maintaining of status. They asked my paystubs from my current employer. My questions are: 1. will there be any impact to my current H-1B? 2. If they only ask for paystubs, can I submit them and initiate motion to reopen the case? what are the possibilities of success.
Travel While Change of Status Request is Pending - H-1B Related
I was planning on going to India for vacation (after I graduate, before I start work) and I had some questions about whether that would be alright from an immigration stand point. My lawyers are filing my H1B visa application this April; would there be any potential issues with the application if I was to leave the US in May/June?

There are multiple issues involved in traveling.

First, if someone travels while a change of status request is pending, they will have to obtain a visa stamping or reapply for an H-1B for change of status to activate the H-1B on or after October 1.

Second, getting visa stamping is by itself a highly uncertain process that could take from days to months. The consulates reopen and dissect the entire H-1B case from the ground up and try to find any reason they can to deny the case.

The New Restriction on 12 Months of CPT OPT Combined – – Consequences of H-1B Denial on OPT
I am currently on F1 visa and working on CPT. My H1 petition was picked in the lottery this year and status changed to RFE 2 weeks ago. I wanted to know if August 9 unlawful presence rule applies in my case i.e; if I get a response for RFE after Feb 4 2019, that completes 180 days.
Traveling Abroad While H-4 EAD is Pending
I changed my job from company A to Company B. H1,H4,H4 EAD is approved for company A. I moved to company B and my H1 change of employer is approved. While H4 is pending with company B. Can my wife travel to India and apply for H4 visa stamping in India?
Unlawful Presence for Minors
My son’s I-94 and visa are expired in June. We have applied for I-539 for extension in October. Will he be granted the extension.

Watch the Video on this FAQ: Unlawful presence for minors

Video Transcript

For a child under the age of 18 until they hit 18 there is no unlawful presence. They are only out of status. More...

H-1B Petition Revocation During Visa Process/Reaffirmation
I had my H1 visa extension stamping appointment on Feb 21, 2018. Initially it was put under Administrative Processing and later on May 23rd my petition was send back for revocation. As per the inquiry with embassy they told me that "Based on the documents you submitted and the information elicited in your interview with a consular officer, you were determined ineligible for an H1B work visa. Your petition was returned to the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) on May 24. Currently H1 status website shows KCC received the application on June 8. Once KCC receives a petition, it is returned to the approving USCIS office for review and possible revocation. At this point, USCIS can either reaffirm the petition or issue a notice of intent to revoke it. What are the options available with me now?
How Does One Change Status While Within The United States?
I am currently working on L1B with company A and I received my H1B I-797 last year from same company A, but didn’t do the conversion to it yet. I want to change to company B in regards to which I have the below questions: 1- What is the process of switching the visa, and does it need me to setup an interview appointment? 2- If yes, does this have to be out of USA and in my home country? 3- Do I need to get the stamping for H1B with company A before moving to company B? Or can I switch to company B without going for H1B stamping for company A?
Child Turning 21, Immigration Consequences for Pending Green Card Cases
I am on H-1 Visa and my son is on H-4 visa. He is 17 years(studying 11th grade). I wanted to know whether i need to change the visa status at the age of 21. If so, the green card processed by my employer for him will still be valid or not. Also, if he goes to India for studying his degree for like 4 or 5 years, will the green card processing for him will be valid.
H-1B and Green Card Transfer From a Non-Profit Organization to For-Profit
I am currently working for a Non-profit org on a cap-exempt H-1B. and my company initiated my GC processing. Below are the few questions: 1. Is the GC processing any different thru a non-profit from a for-profit organization? meaning, is it any advantageous to process my GC thru a non-profit? 2. Can my I-140 from a non-profit be transferred to a for-profit org, if I was able to move to a for-profit org? 3. What are the possible ways that I could move to work for a for -profit organizations? From your previous calls and thru my research I found out below few ways that I could to that. Please give your inputs a. Finding a profit employer to file my cap-subject H1 (Can I start working for my new employer as soon as my H1b is picked in the lottery or approved, instead of waiting till Oct 1st?) b. If a new employer sponsor my cap-subject H1 and if I dont move to the new employer, will my current cap-exempt H1 be still active and should I have to go under the cap next time I file a Cap-subject H1 c.applying for concurrent H1b d. Moving on to H4EAD and filing a H1b next April e.Joining a Masters CPT college and filing a Cap-subject H-1B next year

Watch the Video on this FAQ: H-1B and green card transfer from a non-profit organization to for-profit

Video Transcript

1. The answer is No. There is no advantage in going through for-profit or non-profit that's just irrelevant.

Change of Status to Student F-1 While Green Card is in Process
My question is about switching from an H-1 to F-1 visa. My six years of H-1 expires in March 2018. I have received an offer for a Phd. at Stanford (starting Aug. 2018) that happens to be one of my dream universities. My employer applied for a PERM back in August 2017, it has not been approved yet. Does the filing of PERM interfere with getting an F-1 visa. I know you’ve answered this question in the past regarding an I-140 and I understand that my chances with just a PERM are slightly better ?
Can I Get H-4 Visa Stamping While the H-1 to H-4 Change of Status is Still Pending?
H1 to H4 COS pending from Jul 14 2017. I94 expired Nov 2nd. H4 to B2 applied on Oct 31 2017 as per our attorneys suggestion due to some delay with spouses visa. Spouse's H1 is now approved. I would like to get my H4 as soon as possible and apply for H4 EAD. Can I go to Canada/ any close by country and get my H4 stamping done while the petitions are pending or wait till H4 is approved? or going to India is my only option
H-1B or Other Status Denied - What is my Status?
My I-94 expired on Dec 13th last year. Company filed for extension but RFE….now i will be laid off on Feb 9th and my company will not file for RFE response. How many days do i have to leave the country? Do i need to leave immediately on Feb 9th or can i leave by Feb 13th or 14th ? Will 5 days of out of status impact my future applications ? Also another company has offered me a job. If they file for H1B do they have to do it after I leave the country or can they start it and i can leave in between and do Counselor processing?
When Does One Become H-1B Cap Exempt?
I have read that in some cases of H1B as follows "They had H1 petition and H1B visa was stamped in 2012 but they never traveled to the US on that. And when a new employer applied for a cap-exempt H1B petition in 2017 they got it approved with change of status to H1 in May 2017…Whereas in my case I also didn't use this H1B visa and I even didn't travel to US i.e. My employer filed H1B in 2016 which got approved in Sep 2016 and after my resignation, they revoked H1B in Nov 2016 (which is > OCt, 1 2016), but I got a Denial. When contacted few attorneys they said I may get "Approvals" Or "Deny" in such cases, nowadays its more of details saying I am NOT cap exempt?
What can be Done if an H-1B is Denied While in the USA?
In case of H1 transfer denied what other options one can have ? [provide that has 140 approved since many years] 1. Can new H1 transfer with new employer can be initiated ? 2. Can one can apply for B1 [Visitor Visa] and remain in USA for valid period ?
Changing Status from Tourist or Business Visa (B1 or B2) Within the United States
Right now I'm in USA on B1 visa. I came last week 1st Oct 2017. Got the stamp for 6 months (i94 expires on Mar 31, 2018). This is the 3rd time I'm traveling to the US on B1. Below are the previous trip details. Aug 02 2014 To Sep 28 2014, May 03 2015 To Jun 15 2015,3) Oct 1 2017 To till date (Nov 11 2017). Now my company wants to file L-1B petition for me. The employer is ready to file an application for L-1B in the USA if it is legitimate. 1) Now I'm already in the US, so Is there a process to get my L-1B without going back to my country (India)? Is B-1 to L-1B is a complex process? Is there any complication(s) if I put my petition in USA? 2) What will be the time frame to get L-1B?
Status and Unlawful Presence Questions in the Form DS-160
Having plans to travel to India in last week of Sept 17 and with my visa stamp on passport expiring on 1st Sept 2017, need to go for visa interview & when I am filling my DS-160, came across the question : Have you ever been unlawfully present, overstayed the amount of time granted by an immigration official or otherwise violated the terms of a U.S. visa? Considering the above situation, could you please help with what to answer Yes/No. If Yes, what comments to be written in the EXPLAIN BOX .
H-1B Visa Denied and Petition Sent for Revocation
I went to the US in May 2014 on H1-B working for Employer A. In Feb 2016, I moved to work for Employer B (small US based company, on other offices) with H1-B transfer receipt. The new job was remote work, so I started working from home for Employer B. I received RFE in April 2016 and I went to India the same month. While I was in India, the transfer got approved in June 2016 and I came back to the US with the approval notice as proof. My visa was getting expired in Sep 2016, so extension was filed with Employer B. The extension also got approved after RFE and extended till Sep 2019. Current Situation: Now, I came to India in Jan 2017 for my marriage. I went for visa stamping in Delhi with my wife (for H4) in Feb 2017. The visa officer asked me about my Role, client, and other common questions which I answered correctly. VO then collected my documents (I-129, client letter etc) and handed me 221(g) letter saying that he needs some time to review the documents. We left the embassy and the wait started. In March 2017, I received an email from embassy asking for the latest LCA which I promptly provided. After that there was no response for a few months, and I started working from India in US hours. Since my employer is a small company, they did not hire any attorney and did the processing themselves. They also did not seem to put any effort to expedite or help the process. In July 2017 (after 5 months), I received a call to collect the passport. On collecting the passport, the stamping was not done and I received a letter stating that my stamping is being refused and visa is sent to consulate for revocation. This came as a shock. I notified my employer, they were disappointed and did not know what can be done about this case. When I enquired, they said they don't want to spend more resources on this case and are fine with me continue working from India (reduced salary). 1. Is it possible to have the case reconsidered and to know the exact reason for refusal? If yes, how would I go about it without the support of my employer? 2. If this is only for stamping, how long will my extended visa be valid? Can I try the stamping again with this employer or find a new employer from India and use the same visa with them? 3. What happens to my assets (personal stuff, bank accounts, etc) in US? 4. If I can legally work for the same employer, how does it affect my taxes? Do I now pay taxes in India and in US both? Since when I can be considered liable to pay tax in India (when I came to India or stamping refusal date etc)?
H-1B Visa Stamping in Canada or Mexico; Importance of I-94
I am currently working on H1B visa, My current visa stamping is via my previous employer (Employer A) and valid till September 2017 and my I-797 is via my current employer (Employer B) ,its valid till August 2018. I have few queries regarding my new H1B visa stamping and I-94. 1. Can I get my visa stamped in CANADA or any other country nearby to USA without revisiting INDIA. 2. Am I eligible for drop box option for my new stamping as my current stamping is via my previous employer. 3. I can see also my I-94 expiring is September 2017. Do I need to reach out to USCIS to update it, in order to maintain my status.

Watch the Video on this FAQ: H-1B visa stamping in Canada or Mexico; importance of I-94

Video Transcript

1. You can get your visa stamped in any country which is called Third Country National (TCN) processing. It is a good idea to check with them beforehand. Sometimes if they have too much of a workload, especially in Mexico they might temporarily stop taking TCN's. 

Does H-4 Require a Prior USCIS Approval for Visa Stamping?
My dependents visa stamp on passport expires on Sept 1st 2017 and have valid I-94 till Sept 1st 2017 and this was with the previous employer A I worked for. I moved to a different employer B a year back and haven't filed H4 for dependents with employer B as it was not necessary. Now if my dependents travel to India prior to Sept 1st 2017, do I still need to file for H4 extension or is it good if they attend the interview at consulate in India and get visa stamped on passport without H4 extension using my approved I-797 (till 2019) with employer B.
New Regulations, Effect on Layoff after I-140 Approval
1. I have I-140 approved and its more than 6 months over. My priority date is March 2011 under EB2. At this situation, if my current employer lay me off from work, what immediate step I need to do, in order to legally stay in the USA. ( Do I need to contact my lawyer to change my H1B visa status and my family status to Tourist visa or Can I change my status online or what is the option?). 2) With the new I-140 EAD regulations effective Jan 17th 2017 in place, am I eligible to apply for EAD using "Compelling circumstances EAD", if my company laid me off? As of July dates for filing for EB2 visa application is 01FEB09 , which is more than 2 years wait time for my dates to be current.
Evidence or Documents Created After the Filing of a Petition
1. I had my H-1B approved in Feb 2017. I moved to the US after H-1B petition is submitted. My employer filed for COS from H4 to H1 through premium processing in March 2017. Got RFE on COS petition for proffered position and employee and employer relationship. which they have replied to .. And now got a second RFE asking for a combination of following or similar types of evidence: Letter explaining how the Level 1 wage designation LCA that you have provided corresponds to the proffered position. Document to support that the level 1 wage designation on the LCA supports the proffered position. 2. What are the other options if my COS petition is is denied? 3. Am I eligible for transfer if I get an offer from the new company? 4.Is my approved H-1B still valid and cap exempt, whatever is the outcome of COS petition decision?
60 Days Grace Period for H-1B
My Project with My Client will end soon and my employer doesn't have any further projects and asking me to go back to my home country (India) by end of this month. My Visa is valid till Aug 2017 with extension filed. So I am considering to resign on last day of the assignment. ( no new employer found yet). 1) as per new Rule would I be getting the grace period till my I 94 expires i.e till Aug 2017? Is this correct? ( 60 days grace period rule) Also during this Grace period Can I apply for a Change of Status to another non immigrant Visa - F1? (change to a different nonimmigrant classification.) if yes and F1 filed after termination of employment, will this not be considered as timely filed which can result in problems in the future? 2) if F1 is filed Should I start my classes before I94 expiry date or can I Start in September or should I wait till F1 is approved ( after 90 days from date of filing F1)?
Applying For H-1B Visa When There Was A Status Violation
Recently I got Consular visa, that my I-797 was approved without I-94 so I need to step out of the country to get H-1B visa stamped. Got laid off from EMP A and took around 55 days for EMP B to file h-1 and now I’m with EMP C. Both I-797's from EMP B and EMP C, I got consular visa to step out for visa stamping. 1. Usually, how much time I have to step out of US for stamping, if I go little after 3-4 weeks what’s the valid reason that I can give to Visa officer at interview time. 2. How can I justify myself about the 55days of gap I have from EMP A to EMP B ( during the time I do not have H-1B status), my attorney suggested that I need to tell VO that “I was looking for a Job and my employer took time to file for H-1B “. I’m not sure whether I can say this. Can you suggest a valid reason to give VO. 3. MY GC Perm Labor has approved and EMP C has applied for I-140 recently and it's still in processing status, during this situation If I get a full-time opportunity can I move with a new employer? OR I have to stay with current one until I get I-140 approved and then transfer with a new employer.

Watch Video on this FAQ: Applying for H-1B visa when there was a status violation

Video Transcript

1. Go as quickly as you can. It isn't an emergency, but it is something you should not take lightly.

H-1B 60 days grace period explained
Lost job recently. Was working on H1B. I am trying to understand how much time I have effectively to find another job and have the H1B filed by next employer. Is it necessary that the H1B “start date” in the I-129 petition be within the 60-day mark ( the grace period) from the last day of job in order for USCIS to grant H1B approval after a layoff?
H-4 EAD Status When Moved to Different Employer
1. I have approved I-140 with company A and my wife got H-4 EAD. I am planning to move to company B. Can my current employer (Company A) revoke I-140? (I-140 has been approved for more than 6 months). If he can't revoke I-140, can my wife work on the H-4 EAD that she got based on company A's I-140? 2. If my H-1 and my wife's H-4 transferred to Company B, do I need to apply for new H-4 EAD or can she continue working on H-4 EAD from company A (that H-4 EAD still has validity)?

1. The employer can revoke, but, USCIS says, after 180 days they will not revoke the H-4 EAD.

2. You will not need to change the H-4 EAD upon moving to any number of companies, as long as you maintain your H-1 status.

Travel while H-4 EAD is pending
Can my wife travel to India and then back to the USA for a period of 12 days while her H4 EAD application is pending? Based on current estimates of processing times we do not estimate that her H4 EAD will come before the first week of July. We will be back to the USA in the first week of May.
If H-1 transfer is denied, can I rejoin my old employer?
I received my 3-year extension post 6 years based on approved I-140 (sponsored by employer A). I am in the 7th year of H1B and have a valid visa until 2019. I have an offer from employer B. I am told by employer B that they are going to do H1B portability and extension using my approved I-140 from my previous employer. Since the premium processing of H1B is going to be suspended starting April 3rd, my new employer B wants me to join them based on the receipt notice of the H1B transfer. I am also told that the risk I have in case of denial is I would have to leave the US and re-apply for an H1B petition from my home country. From my understanding, one can always go back to their previous employer in case of rejection of H1 transfer?

Watch the Video on this FAQ: If H-1 transfer is denied, can I rejoin my old employer?

Video Transcript

According, to USCIS, when you are working under AC21 you are not out of status, you are in fact working according to the law and hence you should be able to join back. More...

H-4 EAD changing back to H-1
1. Had H-1B petition approved in 2015 through consular processing while residing outside the USA? But did not get stamped for H-1 but came to the USA on H4 visa. Currently working as an employee on H-4-EAD. Can I change my status to H-1B from H-4, If Yes - Will it be treated outside H-1B Cap? 2. Do I have to leave the country and get stamped and re-enter with H-1B status? 3. Will I get a new I-94 with latest 1 yr or 3 yrs approval? 4. How many days will the process take to change status? 5. Can I continue working while the COS is in progress or pending with USICS as I would like to continue working without a break? Also, do I have to go back to the same petitioner who applied for H-1B visa or can I transfer it to a different employer?
Gap in Status
A couple of questions on Gap in status: 1. I am on H-1B and my project/job is going to end on April 29,2016 (Friday). I have my H-4 approved effective May 2, 2016. I will get salary slip from 1 April to 30 April. Do I need to have salary slip for May 1, 2016 (which is a Sunday) to maintain H-1B/ legal status (considering that I won't be getting May 1 to May 31 salary slip). 2. I am currently on H-1B and have an approved H-4 Effective 15 July 2016. As part of my H-4 application (which I had filed along with my spouse extension) , I had requested USCIS to give me H-4 effective date of 13 May 2016 as my project was going to end on 13 May 2016. But, the request was not honoured and USCIS responded citing the reason "Since the beneficiary of the I-539 and I-765 will change status, we cannot give an earlier start date than what is shown on the I-129 approval notice." If my project ends on 13 May 2016 , should I leave the country as my H-4 effective start date is 15 July 2016 to maintain legal status ?
Travel while H-1 COS is pending
My Spouse is on H-4 and has a Valid H-4 stamped till Jan 16 2017. I am planning to apply H-1 for my Spouse through an Employer this year. Is it advisable to travel to India while her H-1B is in Process? What will be the implications if she travels to India?
The Proposed I-140 EAD Rule - FAQ's

Question 1: Redo the PERM or just the I-140. If redoing the PERM again then what's new in this regulation? 

Answer: After 180 days, you can extend H-1 even if 140 is withdrawn.

Question 2: It seems that there is no easy provision for EAD/AP for approved 140 applicants. So is there any point in waiting for this rule or Should I consider Visa stamping is only option for traveling outside US? Please suggest as I waited for a year or long thought they are going to give AP.

H-1B Laid Off Issues
I have been laid off by my current employer, with severance paycheck coming at regular pay intervals until mid January-2016. Finding a new employment is taking time. I am on H-1B which first started on October 01, 2013, latest I-797 valid until December 2017. 1. How long do I legally have, before I become unauthorized to stay? What constitutes as unlawful presence? 2. My I-94 admission validity is until October 2016; with no employment, does this mean anything? 3. Before I transition into a new H-1B, can I travel outside and into the country, without a Change of Status? Can I use severance pay checks if asked, for entry purposes? 4. Can I use my severance pay stubs as pay stubs when my next employer applies for new H-1B? 5. I am hesitating to inform my next employer about my termination, thinking that this may impact my hiring decision or my ability to negotiate. But not indicating terminated employment, is it possible that my H1B transfer or new petition may be considered unethical? 6. In your experience, how long does the USCIS take to update a revoked H-1B petition in their systems? 7. If my new employer files for H-1B transfer before the update but with pay stubs older than 30 days, do I have to mandatory leave the country for new H-1B stamping before starting to work? 8. If such is the case, is it best to change to a B-2 status and have my next employer apply for new H-1B? If yes, I would assume that I will be cap exempt until September 30, 2019 plus the days spent on B2; would this be a fair assumption. 9. Can my employer continue to pay severance checks when I am on B-2 status? 10. What happens if my new employer applies for H-1B transfer with severance paychecks, after USCIS has updated their records? 11. In your experience, what gap in unemployment is generally ignored by USCIS when filing for new H-1B or transferring new H-1B? 12. What other words of wisdom do you have for me?

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.

https://youtu.be/F0YZD8zWm88?t=1068 

FAQ Transcript:

If you get laid off on H-1B there is no grace period. You get laid off today tomorrow you are out of status.

Maternity leave on H-1, FMLA and status
My wife is on H-1B visa and went on Maternity Leave (normal delivery) starting 8-Sep-2015 and will be completing 6 weeks of allowed vacation on 16-Oct-2015 (We have 6 Weeks letter from doctor). However, she would like to extend the leave till 15-Dec-2015 ( Total Duration 3 Months 10 Days) as we do not have the required support for the baby. Her Employer is willing to provide her with a leave/vacation letter and she can continue to work with the same employer post her vacation. Pay stubs ($0) will not be provided by the employer. Also, we are trying to have the pediatrician provide a letter suggesting 4 months of leave but not sure if we can get the same or will it be helpful? State - New Jersey Visa Type - H-1B Question 1 - Will a $0 pay stub from employer be helpful to keep her in status while on leave? Question 2 - Will letter from pediatrician suggesting 4 months of leave be helpful to keep her in status while on leave? Question 3 - Request you to suggest if she will be in valid status if she continues to be on leave till Dec-15 and have a vacation letter from the employer without pay stubs ? We do have an option of moving her to H4 starting 30 Oct but would like to avoid the same. If she changes her status to H-4, Question 4 - Will her current employer have to file a new H1B or a simple COS from H-4-H-1B would be required once she is ready to work? Question 5 - Can COS from H-4 to H-1B be filed in premium processing ? If not, what are the timeline for processing of the same.

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.  

https://youtu.be/ZvUVIGTM-Kk?t=2334

How to Enter The USA to Start A Business And Then Continue
I am planning to start an IT company in USA which is registered in India. Currently I am planning to travel on B1/B2 visa for my company set up. Can I transfer my visa status from B1/B2 to L1 if required within USA? What are the possible chances of success? Kindly you please suggest me the best way.

There are several issues that should be examined before you can make an informed decision.

1.  B visa or ESTA does not allow you to “work:”