Frequently Asked Questions - Advance Parole

Expedited Advanced Parole
An applicant whose Form I-131 is filed and currently pending at a USCIS Service Center may go to a local office to apply for an expedited Advance Parole in case of an emergency. Have there been any changes to the process in which the applicant presents a copy of the receipts for the I-131 (and the underlying applications), documentation proving the emergency, filing fee, and two photos?

There has been no change to this policy.  USCIS requires documentary evidence of the emergent situation, as well as supporting documentation indicating that the applicant has a pending application.

AOS interview next week, mother in India on AP
I am a US citizen, had applied for my parents GC in October 2009. Mom underwent fingerprinting three times here, but did not get her AOS done in time. End of last year my father (who got his EAD and AOS smoothly) had emergency heary bypass here, and then they had to leave back for India for more tests. Mom left on AP. Subsequently I wrote a letter to NBC, MO to ask them to expedite my mothers case. Yesterday I received a letter stating that she has go to Philadelphia USCIS office next week for "Completion of application to register for Perm residence." Mom is in India now.

You need to contact USCIS customer service for guidance. Definitely put something down in writing that you are requesting a rescheduling. Maybe asking your Congressman's assistance is the best way to go for rescheduling.

Advance Parole
Right now my wife and I am on advance parole, In 2005 what happened was, when my H-1 and my wife’s H-4 came to renew ,the attorney forgot to renew my wife’s H-4 so she was out of status for about two months later he filed it everything was alright.So my question is can she go to India with advance parole and come back, will there be any problem?

If her I-485 was pending, she would not be out of status.

With I-485 pending can I be an investor ?
My 485 is pending and I am on advance parole and EAD, my employment based GC priority date date was June 2006. I want to be an investor in my friends start up company. I wont be leaving my current job but only investing in it. Should that be an issue If I dont have my GC?

I see no problem with it, especially, if you are a passive investor who takes no action to manage or conduct the business of the entity invested in.

Effect of immigration proclamation/executive order on green cards
I have a question regarding the impact of the recent Executive Order on my parents' greencard application, which is currently underway. I’m a US citizen (India-born, recvd greencard via EB category) and have sponsored the greencard application for my parents, who live in India, via consular processing. I-130 is approved, and we filed DS-260 and Form I-864 on 4/22 before EO was announced. Does the EO impact their case, or given it’s already in-progress (past I-130 approval), will it continue unaffected?
Pros and Cons of Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing for Green Card
My H1B (6 years) was from 10/1/2004 - 9/30/2010 from 5 different companies. Company A - PD(EB3) - Jun 19, 2007, I-140 applied on July 9, 2007, I-485 filed July 17, 2007 - got laid off Oct 31, 2008. - I-140 approved on Dec 29, 2008. Moved to Canada in July 2012 and became Canadian Citizen in Apr 2017. I have been keeping Advance Parole active by visiting the USA every year. Now I want to add my family in Canada(wife(Indian Citizen with USA visitors visa) and kid(Canadian Citizen)). Do you recommend AOS for myself and Consular Processing for my family?
I-485 approved while outside the USA - travel on AP or GC
Pending I-485 petition (AOS), AP&EAD approved and valid until another 6 months. I-485 petitioner went to India, on approval of AP. While in India, I-485 approved on 29/3/2017 and Card received
What if I never joined the employer who sponsored me for green card?
Working for the same company for 9+ years (7 yrs in the USA and since last 2 years in India Development Center for the same company). I received my GC in June 2016 and have got the physical cards delivered to me in India. Lost my father in Nov 2016. More than 9 months passed since GC - never traveled on GC so far or worked for the Sponsoring employer even for 1 day in the USA. I want to work and live in the US but for immediate time (next 1 to 2 years) I need to spend more time in India to console and support my grieving mother. My current company does not have any immediate work for me in the US. I am looking for options outside my company to come back to the USA. I am also considering an opportunity local in India.

Watch the Video on this FAQ: What if I never joined the employer who sponsored me for green card?

Joining a company other than green card sponsor, staying abroad after green card and reentry permit
I am working for same company for more than 9 years out of which 2007 to Aug 2014 in the US and since Aug 2014 in India Development Center for the same company. I have visited the US frequently (4 times) between Aug 2014 to Sep 2015 and in India since then (through Advance Parole). I received my GC on 6/26/2016 and have got the physical cards delivered to me in India by a friend traveling from the USA. My father was sick for last one year and passed away on 15th Nov 2016. I have EAD card with validity till 12/10/17 (Not Valid for reentry to the US). My Advance Parole has expired on Dec 29, 2016. Also, 6 months timeframe for GC entry to the US has expired on 12/26/2016. I want to work and live in the US but for immediate time (next 1 to 2 years) I need to spend more time in India to console and support my grieving mother. My current company does not have any immediate work for me in the US. I am looking for options outside my company to come back to the USA. 1. Can I directly join some other company in the USA using the same GC my company has filed for me? If yes, are there any legal formalities/paperwork involved to do that? 2. I have already filed for Advance Parole twice between 2014 and 2016. Once I am in the USA, can I file for a Re-entry permit to get a leave for another 2 years outside the USA to support my mother while she is going through recent grief? 3. How long does the process for Reentry permit application take? Do I need to stay in the US till the time application is approved or can I leave for India once application is filed and bio-metric is done? 4. On a side note - I have no earnings in the US for the year 2016 but I must file the taxes as a GC holder (and also to maintain my ties with the US). Do you have references for any good CA who can help me with this?
Changing Employers With An Approved I-140 After January 17 2017
I have approved 140, Green card EAD/AP card in EB2 from company-A and passed more that 180 days. I have maintained H-1B status since last 9 years instead of using EAD/AP as the need to go India for marriage so my future wife gets H-4 easily. Just transferred my H-1B to company-B. Company-A will revoke my I-140 in March 2017 due to company policy. I have following questions to ask you. 1. Shall I get H-1B extension (beyond 6 yr) in future with company-B after I-140 revoke from my previous employer? 2. I have EAD/AP card from my previous employer. Is it required to start GC process like labor and I-140 application again with company-B if my previous employer revokes my I-140?

You can continue to extend your H-1 even after I-140 is revoked by the employer, IF, the revocation was sent more than 180 days after I-140 approval.

Under AC21, you do not have to start a new green card if:

1. Your I-140 is approved;

2. Your I-485 has been pending for 180 days or more;

3. You will take an employment same as or similar to your green card job; and

4. You file Supplement J.

Inter- Country adoption by Indian couple on EAD
I have been in the US for about 10 years with my wife and a daughter. All of us are Indian passport holder and got EAD/AP. Can you please let me know if we can adopt a child from India through Inter-Country adoption process?

If you are not a US citizen, you need to adopt the child and then to possess custody of the child for 2 years (as far as I remember). Then the child can come here on H-4 or a derivative green card. 

October 2015 Visa Bulletin Confusion FAQ's
FAQ's Updated on 21 September 2015

FAQ's Updated on 21 September 2015