Requirements for Extension of H-1 beyond 6 years

I am looking for opportunities using the remainder option of my H-1B. I have a year and half remaining out of six years. Now, most of the companies do not want to start the GC process immediately; they want to start after 6-12 months. I have the following two questions: 1. What stage do I need to reach on my GC process when the remaining time on H-1B ends. 2. If my company doesn't want to start GC process immediately, can I begin this on my own using my personal fund?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.

FAQ Transcript:

There are only two ways to extend your H-1B beyond six years. One is that you have I-140 approved. So PERM is approved, your  I-140 is approved   and if you are an EB-1 person then your I-140 is approved (NIW EB-1). So if your I-140 is approved, we don't care when your Green Card started, whether its PERM based or direct filing of EB-1, you are entitled to your H-1 extension.

The other method is your PERM was filed a year ago or your I-140 and NIW.  In the case of first anniversary you will be entitled to 1 year H-1 extension, in case of I-140 approval you will be entitled to 3 year H-1 extension


Nonimmigrant Visas: 
Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment