I am currently working on H1B visa, My current visa stamping is via my previous employer (Employer A) and valid till September 2017 and my I-797 is via my current employer (Employer B) ,its valid till August 2018.
I have few queries regarding my new H1B visa stamping and I-94.
1. Can I get my visa stamped in CANADA or any other country nearby to USA without revisiting INDIA.
2. Am I eligible for drop box option for my new stamping as my current stamping is via my previous employer.
3. I can see also my I-94 expiring is September 2017. Do I need to reach out to USCIS to update it, in order to maintain my status.
1. You can get your visa stamped in any country which is called Third Country National (TCN) processing. It is a good idea to check with them beforehand. Sometimes if they have too much of a workload, especially in Mexico they might temporarily stop taking TCN's.
2. I don't know because I don't know the rules for the drop box. If you read the rules and you qualify for them, then the answer is yes.
3. I-94 is important. Once you are inside the USA your status is governed by the I-94. You could have a visa good till 2020 but if your I-94 is expiring tomorrow then you are going to be out of status day after tomorrow and unlawfully present. If your I-94 is expiring you got to get that extended whether it is through an H-1 extension or if you already have an approval and you can go outside with the visa for a visa stamping. H-1 and L-1 visas require a prior approval from USCIS. H-4 and L-2 visas do not. More...
Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.