J-1 visa waiver concerns

I had come to US in September 2008 for 30 days externship (as short term visiting scholar) on J1 visa. After that I went back to India in October and came again in January 2009 on F1 visa to do PhD in animal science program. My concern is do I need to apply for J1 waiver before joining a job or a post doc here in USA? If yes, how should I go about it?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

The 212(e) can attach to even a short program. Step one, ask DOS for an advisory opinion whether you are subject to the Home Residency Requirement. The detailes are here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Add new comment